Sunday 23 August 2020

Futures.

 I slept for nine hours straight and then the phone rang but it was Schuyler and his soothing voice telling me Ben is doing great and everything is fine, so don't rush, take some time to be at home and rest a little more. I'm more glad that I was at the hospital for the first more frightening days so that I didn't have to wait for the boys to tell me news in their roundabout, slowed-down way. That's too hard. This works better. Either way, our cautious but hopeful approach is working and today instead of church Sam is going to go in with Matt to pray with Ben. Ben has been asking for Sam.

I called Ben's old manager to put him in the loop and ask him to try to reach out to some of the people Ben was working with. Not like I know how to get a hold of them. He said not to worry about a thing. Ben's projects will be heavily delayed or delivered in fragments and they'll have to make do though he is not a procrastinator when it comes to work and is probably ready to send everything out if he hadn't already. 

I saw Caleb and I would not stop long enough to see him dissolve into his own sorrow nor listen to his lament, I only asked him to contact Emmett (NOT RANSOM) and see about arranging to put in some better accessibility points on the property, especially around the main house. We need stair railings indoors, rails in the bathroom, a second ladder and rails at the other end of the pool and I'm putting a auxiliary driveway that comes around and isn't such a bottleneck way on the other side where our property hooks around (surprise, the waterfront is all mine), about forty feet past where Batman's property ends, in order to facilitate both deliveries and emergencies. 

Caleb nodded, absolutely hobbled by my refusal to hear his confession. 

He's not a stupid man, though.

Maybe we won't need any of that stuff but if we do, it will be there. 

When can I see him?

When he asks for you.