Tuesday 25 August 2020

Love is the most selfish of all the passions.

 It's a beautiful day. I took a deep breath and it didn't hurt. The sun is shining, but it didn't burn. Our tomatoes are ripening but not splitting. I brought one in for Ben, salt shaker wrapped in a napkin in my purse because he likes them with a little salt and he said it was the best thing he's ever eaten. Then he winked at me and laughed gently. He can't laugh too hard or his head hurts. 

He's in a private room and let me tell you being able to have a good long conversation with him and not being told that he needs to sleep or I need to leave so they can change tubes and bags and test him and feed him and listen to the noises of the machines while I wonder exactly how hard his brain hit the inside of his skull and what the fallout from this might mean for the future of the biggest, strongest man I know.

The doctors have gone from cautious to practically packing his bags for him.

(Just kidding. He has no bags. Only the clothes he came in wearing. No phone. No watch. No nothing. Not even his reading glasses.)

And Lochlan is with me today so we can spend time with Ben together. Three musketeers.