Saturday 1 August 2020

Dinner tonight will be individual apple pies with cinnamon and nutmeg, made from apples from our own tiny orchard, that we've somehow brought back to life over the past ten years here, and this is the first year it bears fruit for us to eat. They're early apples only because I'm afraid they'll become bitter if I wait too long to use them which goes against everything I know as a gardener but I'm also completely unwilling to see the apples stolen by the raccoon family that visits us every night seeing what's ready to take and what they should wait for.

Dessert and iced tea only because the heat wave continues and no one wants to eat, we just want to float in the pool until we fall asleep, which turned out to be a surprisingly bad idea for me and today I am pinkish and sore from the sun. I had fifty sunblock on but it wasn't enough so Lochlan said if I'm going to float I'll be doing it in my wetsuit from now on.

It's also pink. I know! Surprise! You thought it would be black, didn't you?