Saturday 29 August 2020

Virgo season.

Another beautiful day and I'm getting the house ready for Ben's return, though the boys didn't leave a lot for me to do. They took over the chore chart, picked up the slack and then went above and beyond, pulling it until it sang, stretched tight over our little point like a line, ready for a funambulist (meeeeeee) to show off on. I'll have help doing the formal dinners this week, and in baking the cakes.

Life is a tightrope. If ever there was a metaphor, it would be this.

They've scrubbed every trace of construction away. Emmett also went above and beyond. I gave him a blank slate and zero plans, told him what I need and asked that it all blend in so it was virtually unnoticeable. He did exactly that and I requested that Caleb tip him handsomely and then doubled that. That's how you keep someone good. You make it rain. 

Didn't work for Caleb though. He thought money would make me come running. I did, but I ran away from him instead of towards him.

He's going to spend the fall working on figuring out how to blow off steam, how to keep his explosive temper in check and how to coexist peacefully with the rest of us. They were working so hard to incorporate him into the house but it seems as if he still falls back on his old flaws, still pretends he is above us, still separates himself from the group. Sam has some names and I get to pick one for Caleb and he can go and lay his heart bare a couple of times a week to someone with threadbare cuffs in a worn scrubbed office and not complain even once because I have asked for that and that would mean more to me than another stupid payout. No settlement can save him from this. I forgave him quickly but as always I won't forget.

In the meantime, I acquiesced and sent Ben's new/favourite guitar in with Sam and Matt this morning so he could serenade his nurses and reassure himself that he can still play. It's a Gretsch baritone and it's cherry. He found it practically for free and only had to replace the coils and strings and it became number one pretty quickly. They'll probably bring it back tonight but he'll have that peace of mind. We keep finding strange things that he can't do that his team says will return in time. Nothing major, just little things like concentration if several people are talking at once or really super quick reactions to something falling, for example (mostly things some people struggle with in life anyway). It's hard to watch Ben get so frustrated so I think this will help and since it's actually electric, it makes less noise unplugged than his favourite Martin acoustic.

I may just take the guitar out of the case and hide myself in it so I can curl up in Ben's arms, come to think of it. I think his touch is what I miss most about the past few weeks. There's not nearly enough of it.