Monday 23 August 2021

The headless horsegirl.

(Everyone's talking at the same time here so I didn't bother trying to distinguish.)

I showed up at the meeting ready to call everyone out and they showed up with a casual intervention for me, the little girl dragging her ghosts like helium balloons down the dark path in the woods. Lost, crying, so far behind the boys because the rocks are hard to walk on in too-big, hand-me-down sandals. I couldn't keep up. The ghosts bump against the dark, bob against and underneath the lower branches, giving off a pale glow in the dim moonlight. It's a dime-moon, Lochlan said. I wished it was a penny-moon and then it would be round and full and warm. This is blue. So blue.

I got ambushed.

How about you come too? A two-for-one. You would not be treated together, of course-

I'm not an addict-

Bridget, we've discussed this at length, and furthermore we don't just treat addictions. You know this. 

Can I bring them? I gesture to my balloons. 

No. 

Then forget it. 

Bridget- Caleb looks like he might die of fright. What an exquisite expression on his beautiful face. 

What, so I pack the ghosts away and head off, talk to people, agree with everything and I come back and the ghosts leak out and go right back to following me around? I'll keep my money and just stay here so they don't get mad at me for wasting all that time.

Oh my God. Lochlan buries his face in his hands. 

How long has it been, Lochlan? 

Lochlan stares at Everett. What are you talking about? She doesn't do this with me. 

She does it with everyone. You're just not paying attention

Ben laughs right off. Didn't even hesitate. I nod. Ben knows. Pretty sure I went first and then he threw himself off the edge after me. He's my evil twin. He's the good one. He's the only who actually gets it sometimes. 

Bridget-

What? It's fine. I'm just tired. I'm just worried about Ben. 

It's not going to work this time, Honey. Oh, August has woken up and is Designated Bad Guy. 

What isn't?

Your daydreams. The denials. Sorry, Baby.

So what happens now? 

You come home when you're strong enough. 

No, I need to get my cast off in a couple weeks. Lochlan and Ruthie have birthdays and-

All of that can wait until you're home. 

You think this is magically going to work.

We have to try.

It won't. I hold my chin up. Defiant. Eyes brimming but I'm not going to cry. Too angry. 

It's only a month or so.

I can escape. 

Actually you can't-

Can I have visitors? 

At the halfway point, yes. You remember that, Bridget. 

Yes. 

So you're okay with this-

Nope. And just so we're all being honest, I'll be bringing them with me. 

The boys?

The ghosts. 

Keep her here. We'll think of something else. Caleb, oddly. First to crack.

There isn't anything else. Lochlan. My logical song.

If she's this unwilling it won't work. Remember Joel. Schuyler remembers.

Lochlan thinks for a minute. Without breaking his gaze on me. He finally starts nodding, faster and faster and then he looks at Caleb. 

Yeah. No, she stays for now. I need to think. 

Ben is the connection, Everett reminds them, I'm not sure if she won't end up on a waitlist if she doesn't go with us. 

It's fine. Caleb has already dismissed him. Just focus on Ben. 

Oddly, to my right, Asher lets out a sigh of relief. I see Duncan's shoulders drop and even August loosens up a bit. PJ won't meet anyone's eyes and Lochlan trembles. It's barely there but there. I can see it in his fingers and his chin.

Okay. Then I will deliver Ben safely back into your collective arms before Thanksgiving. Everett nods and heads out, leaving us to reel and draw back, flourish and crank.

She's not doing well enough, Loch. August says quietly. It's like I'm not even here. 

I know. Lochlan says. Like I said, let me think.