Monday 9 August 2021

Devil may care.

Caleb is smiling at me, eyes included and I'm thinking he's about to lie but instead he has a secret and he's excited to keep it from me but also wants to share it very badly. 

You found a spot for our getaway next month I'm guessing?

I have. That handsome smile gets bigger and I bean him with my pillow. 

Spill it.

No. I want to surprise you. 

I bet I can guess. 

No, for the first time I don't think you'll be able to. But just know I spent a great amount of time considering what you would like in preparation for the week and I think you'll be so pleased. 

Really? Is it far? 

I'm keeping the clues to myself. The flight isn't long, if you're worried. No transatlantic. Unless that is what you'd prefer. Now stop with your questions and come back and nap with me, just for one hour and then you can go. 

I love the way he gives me a specific time, within which I will be excused? Released? Given back? Not even sure but I bet if I said I was going now he would refuse to allow it as he is exceedingly protective of his time with me and uses it to the fullest extent to sleep deeply and love hard and dream about a future that doesn't even belong to him unless he books it, as a time or a trip or some sort of formal or informal plan. 

Or maybe I'm the one who doesn't belong and I'm an interloper into his time, into his future, or not, and I am the one formally requesting time I won't get otherwise. In any case, we end up in a weird and gratefully familiar place and I am happy to be here this morning to snuggle in to his dangerous arms in a smoky cold night that saw me not needed elsewhere for once. 

Lochlan knows? 

He does and he's fine with it, Bridge. 

Okay. 

I said if it's nice I would take us all back. 

Sounds iffy. 

It's not but it might be less romantic with a group. That's usually the case.

Well, sometimes it's not. 

He laughs. This is true and only you could say it. 

He leans his head back, closing his eyes, smile still playing on his lips. I follow his lead, putting my head down, closing my eyes.