Friday 27 August 2021

Short and toasted.

For day three of the burn we retracted the whole roof of the pool enclosure in order to swim in the rain, like the old days, temperature of the water jacked to almost-bathtub appeal and every time I stop treading I fall asleep so I only lasted fifteen minutes or so. That was very early this morning.

I want to take Henry for his haircut this afternoon. He can drive. I don't even technically have to go.

I'm eating my tomatoes as fast as they ripen. Once they're orangeish I bring them in to finish to a full red on a bright windowsill somewhere. And then I just eat them. That's how good they are. The apples from our apple tree were crisp and sweet, the grapes from the vineyard are perfect and taste like Welch grape jelly. The potatoes are buttery-fresh and delicious and the pumpkins and sunflowers are HUGE. The only thing lagging now are the cucumbers which are almost dill-pickle sized and so good enough for me. I was actually worried and considered not planting any due to the fear of having to make a huge batch of pickles again this year when we don't go through all that many and I gave away so much I can't expect people to take more. 

So yeah. This is manageable. 

Lunch is dumpling soup from the korean place I love. If I'm awake. If not mine will get eaten. They always say they will save it for me. Then conveniently there wasn't enough.