Thursday 12 September 2019

Dreamstate/The Audubon Society of Point Perdition.

What is that bird? Caleb comes to stand behind me at the patio doors. The boys have hung some very popular bird feeders in the backyard and we now have endless entertainment. I could stand here all day and watch. I've named some of them. They are 'my' birds and I eagerly await their antics.

(Joel calls it 'healthy', as if nature and I don't get along much. I mean, we do but it's only because nature comes looking for me most of the time. My own little black cloud.

I swim almost every day. 

That is good too.

Then stop picking on me.

He disappeared from the room and I haven't seen him since.)

It's a junco. 

He's beautiful. 

Agreed. I look up and turn around and am faced with the underside of Caleb's chin. He looks down abruptly and grins.

Bridget's birds. 

I should name more of them. 

What ones have you named so far? 

I turn around and scan the feeders with my eyes. None of them are here right now. 

I can wait. I'd like to meet them. 

If I go outside they fly away though. 

You have to be more quiet. 

I thought I was. 

Can you hear his song? 

No. 

You're really noisy just in general. Maybe you should wear your hearing aids again. 

The ones that have been in a drawer for the summer?

Summer's over, Neamhchiontach. Time to leave the inside of your head.