Tuesday 27 March 2018

Those moments that break our hearts.

Last night Lochlan came in around eight-thirty, dropped his laptop bag on the floor and crossed to me, pulling me out of my stupidly-comfy barely-awake snuggle all by myself in the corner of the big sectional in the great room and kissed me so hard I think my lips bruised. Then he let me go and went over around the island giving PJ a shove so hard they went into the stack of clean plates that PJ had just put down from unloading the dishwasher and broke the top five of them.

PJ used great restraint, grabbing Lochlan in a headlock, bringing him right down to knee-level and fucking up his hair, rubbing his knuckles on Lochlan's head until he was redfaced and tapping out. PJ's noogies hurt when he wants them to, but he'll deny it until the sun goes down. He looks so good-natured and is loathe to inflict injury (or see it inflicted) but he also takes shit from no one.

Anyone else want to side with the Devil? Lochlan says, straightening his shirt, raking his hair back behind his ears.

I raise my hand.

For fucks sake, Bridge.

PJ crosses to me and blocks Lochlan's view. For fuck's sake indeed. I side with her. PJ aims his thumb over his shoulder. You're not here enough.

I'm trying to finish this so that when things change we can stay here. 

I own the house, Loch-

I don't believe that for a second, Bridge. Not for even one little second. So if I have to have everyone calling me home because I'm trying to secure the future for my family and giving me a hard time then I'll have to bear that too. 

God. The memory thief just threw me a bone. Twelve and seventeen and Loch steals a welcome mat for our camper from a house in a nearby town.

Want to make things nice for my family, he said as he folded me into the crook of his shoulder, the smell of summer hay and dirt on him so real suddenly I shake my head.

What? He says. Oh, I guess I did that out loud. No, what?

The paperwork is ironclad- PJ's trying to reason with the unreasonable.

I'm not going to debate his tricks. I know him better than any of you. The deal is you keep her from him while I get this done. It's not so hard, is it? Jesus, Christ. Look at her. 

And just like that the argument vaporizes. John and Ben, who have come in quietly, disappear again. PJ claps a hand on Lochlan's shoulder, letting it slide off into a handshake. He nods. I know, Brother. Look at her. Look how fucking much she misses you.

PJ leaves and then it's just me and I feel like I want to take in every inch of Lochlan's face, suddenly a stranger with features I hardly remember.

Don't manipulate me, Bridge. For someone who can reach out and touch ten men at any given moment I find it hard to believe-

Believe it. And when have I EVER manipulated you?

When you let Caleb into our lives. Into our bed even. When you insist on being near him after all this time. It's so fucked. 

That's not called manipulation. 

I know. I'm sorry. I know! I just wish..you know what I wish, Peanut. 

No one else dies on my watch, Locket. Even him. 

Let's not do this tonight, okay? Let's just go to bed. Schuyler's going to approve changes so I can keep an eye on things via remote access. Would that help?

Should have said that when you walked in. Would have helped. 

What would have helped would have been you confiding in me, not in Caleb. Next time come to me, call me, whatever. You know damn well I'll drop whatever I'm doing and be there for you. But I figure you're just fine if I don't hear otherwise. You don't say a thing when I get home. 

I'm asleep!

You have no trouble talking in your sleep. 

What did I say? 

Last night you did our show wind-up in a whisper with your stuffy nose. I listened to the whole damn thing. It gave me chills. 

Why didn't you wake me up? 

That's one dream I'll never pull you out of.