Sunday 25 March 2018

Bridget irreverent.

Sam is in fine form this morning as he's dropped into Holy Week, the week when he gets to deliver sermons six times and everyone shows up to hear them. Easter and Christmas, but the resurrection holds far more weight than the birth.

I wish we could bring back anyone we wanted during resurrection. 

Hush, you.

I've offended him. I meant Christ, sure, but also Jacob and maybe anyone else that we miss. 

Cole?

No. 

Please pass these out for me, Bridget?

Why do I work here for free again? I shoulder my bag and take my place at the top of the path leading down to the beach. It's fucking freezing but every single person that passes me gets my winning morning-person smile and a palm leaf for their 'Jerusalem walk' down to the beach, into certain death. Except Sam's not going to kill anyone today. He's going to educate, pontificate to them, telling them that Jesus arrived knowing exactly what would happen to him, but he faced his destiny and he went down swinging. I already heard the sermon five times in the past month as Sam worked to make it relatable and not as heavy, though with the reverence required. Sam has a perfect balance between making sure the heathens like us get the gist, learn the history while the ancient..ier (hey, new word!) members of the congregation don't frown at his 'modern' spin.

He does it well, and with the same boyish, handsome charm that Jacob used to do it with. Man, I hope Jacob walks out of his tomb next Sunday. That would be the best rebirth EVER. But I don't say it out loud and when there's a lull in people to hand leaves to I fold mine deftly into the shape of a cross and then start doing a few more. Sam doesn't do that but I learned it in Sunday School when I was little and never forgot and people love it. Give me a party, I'll give you a party trick. Which is great because while I have tons of charm, I never waste it strangers.

Soon people are asking if they can have a cross leaf. I've won the day. Good luck, Sam.

My payment for having to talk to every. single. person (triple the usual turnout) was to drive home alone and not be taken out for lunch. Sam's too busy. Lochlan never got up. Don't know where Caleb is. PJ says Easter services are too crowded and he'll be back when summer vacations begin and the church is really empty and so I made myself a cheese bagel and watched Ugly Delicious on Netflix.

But now Lochlan's up and the day will be a one-eighty. I might be too worn out to enjoy it. Easter is heavy, indeed.