Monday 26 March 2018

Presence.

I found the Devil.

I'm flying home Wednesday morning. And I have a present for you, he tells me on the phone when I resorted to calling him. We have an unspoken rule on the point. If you need someone, go find them in person. Phones are a pain. Ben and I have bad habits of leaving our phones in the bedroom. Most of the guys don't carry them anymore because you never know when you're going to get thrown off the cliff or stuck working outside in the rain and also it's so nice to play dumb, ignore half a dozen messages so then Bridget will track you down, so happy to see you that her face lights up, making your day.

What is it?

You'll have to wait until I get home to find out. He chuckles. He's probably happy I didn't just order him to take it back. I hope you like it. 

Give me a hint? 

Forget it. How's Lochlan? 

I dunno. I haven't seen him. Schuy has a big project as usual. 

I'll speak with him.

Please don't. Besides, he has a long weekend at least. 

We'll sort them out over dinner. 

You will do nothing of the kind. Just leave it, please. He'll refocus once he's had a few days to stop and breathe. 

Bridget, I can increase his-

Please leave it alone, Diabhal. He wants to do the right thing and to him this is it. Working as much as he can keeps him from feeling weird about the Collective. Please.

I'll talk to him. 

Why can't you just leave it be?

Because of you, and because of my brother. If someone is upsetting you it doesn't get ignored. You know this. 

But yet there's a double standard for you-

Yes, for me there is but I'm trying my hardest to change that so there doesn't have to be. But things are different between us. Now, why don't you call Lochlan and invite him home for a nice dinner. I'll see you Wednesday. Maybe save me that evening for dinner out? And thank you for the Easter invitation. I'm looking forward to it. 

Okay.

Love you, Neamhchiontach. Wish you were on this trip with me. 

But then I wouldn't get presents. 

That's a good way to spin it. I like that. See you midweek.