Friday 30 March 2018

Cross.

On the walk today Caleb caught up with the group and tried to talk to me. I smiled and told him I'd see him later. The hopefulness that bubbled into his expression was quickly shadowed by the realization that I was blowing him off and he listened to me, falling back with Schuyler, who probably wouldn't have talked to him had he known. We weren't supposed to talk anyway. We were supposed to walk and reflect on someone that we've lost. 

Everyone went. I'm fairly certain half of the boys thought of Cole. Ben and Danny thought of their parents. The rest of us thought of Jake. I find it so incredible that the same faith that is supposed to fill us with hope seems content that it gets pushed out with despair but Sam squeezes my hand and tells me to wait. That before the weekend is over maybe a miracle will change my mind. 

I don't know if I have any faith left. I don't know if I believe in fairy tales anymore and yet I look at Lochlan, who is out of his element and vaguely uncomfortable in his good brown suit, hair tied back neatly, head cold, probably wishing for his top hat. Shoes pinching his toes, hand cramped because he won't let go of mine, and I won't let go right back. 

It was the longest service of holy week, unscheduled to be so but made difficult by the walk Sam chose, over rockier patches. He wanted it to be difficult. He wanted it to be slow. He has a lot of senior worshippers. It took almost an hour by itself so he cut his sermon short and we spread out to each find someone to help back to the parking lot from the water's edge. 

When we got home, PJ and John, Ben and I started whipping up french toast and bacon and Sam marvelled on the sweet touch of all of the boys finding someone they could help with the walk. He said if only they could help each other the way they help total strangers, their fellow humans while they spend so much time fighting amongst themselves, with the very people they live with and love, the people they proclaim to be family. The guilt that resonated through the room, around the table while he spoke is our penance today, and that maybe salvation is just around the corner. 

After lunch everyone scattered to spend time with each other and do quiet things. And I excused myself with a thousand promises that I would be back in a few minutes. That I just wanted to check in with Caleb and confirm his attendance on Sunday and maybe remind him of why he needs to stop trying to break all the rules and I needed to do that alone because he and Lochlan already had a really awful throwdown last night over this anyway. 

I knock on Caleb's front door and he opens it. He's got a fresh whiskey and is still wearing his suit jacket, though his tie is missing and his top two shirt buttons are undone. 

Drink? He doesn't look happy to see me. It's a first.

No, thank you. 

What can I do for you? 

I told you I'd speak with you later when we were at church so it's later and here I am. 

Didn't think you'd show. 

I'm the female Jesus. You waited and I appear. 

Oh, that isn't as funny as it is true, Bridget. And I didn't do anything I haven't done before. I took a chance. That's all. That's how you get ahead in life. It's called a risk index. 

I'm aware. But when it comes to human emotions and love, especially, you can't take a formula out of economics and apply it across the board. 

Why not? 

Because humans aren't investment products, they-  Oh. He's got me. But money doesn't have emotions, contrary to popular belief! 

Doesn't it? Comfort in peace of mind. Safety. Happiness. I call bullshit, Princess. 

Don't call me that. 

Don't take on Lochlan's opinions as your own. Think for yourself. 

I do! 

Then let me formalize this. 

I can't. 

Why not? 

Because that's not in my future. 

When are you going to realize that some hag in a scarf seeing something in a crystal ball isn't your future, it was your entertainment. You went on a thrill ride and it ended the minute you walked out of her trailer. 

No, it didn't. 

Touché. 

So take it back, now that you know for certain where you stand. 

I think I'll keep it for another day. Maybe a decade. Wear you down. 

Won't work for you the way it worked for Jake (I pick up the obvious dig). 

Why not? 

Because your brother gave me more than enough of an excuse to run. He made me miserable. Lochlan doesn't suffer from the same issues the rest of you seem to sport. 

Oh, doesn't he, Bridget? 

Not in the slightest. 

Then if you're so sure of him, and of yourself, take the risk. 

You need to learn to listen better. 

I do. Better than you. 

I don't say anything, leaving before I lose this war of words. 

He reads my mind. Too late for that.