Wednesday 28 March 2018

I like to think predictability is a feature, not a bug.

I called Caleb at an ungodly hour this morning to thank him and managed to dig myself a hole that I might never grow big enough to crawl out of.

Is he my present?

Who?

Emmett. We were introduced this morning. I really appreciate you shifting things around like this-

Bridget, what on earth are you talking about?

Emmett. 

Who is Emmett? Who's home with you? Put Lochlan on the phone-

He's at work. It's a pathetic admission from me, as Lochlan could charm the pants off a lightpost, telling me he'd be home more and then promptly doing what he always does, leave for work. I don't want to say there were tears and a little bit of an argument but he needs to remember you can't make promises to a child and then not-

Okay, just nevermind.

I flounced downstairs after my shower and appropriate-length sulk and PJ was standing in the foyer, arms crossed, having the best chat with a total stranger and a few of the regular people who are here working on the house every day.  The stranger smiled at me, elbowed his way through the group to greet me, shook my hand, complimented my property and then handed me a very large, very forbidden take-out coffee from Tim Hortons.

I took a chance that you might like coffee? 

Oh, shit, PJ says under his breath.

I do. Thank you! 

Emmett is taking over from Ransom now that our renovations are well underway and I want to say almost done but that would be optimistic. No one will tell me a date though. I've asked.

I take a sip of my gifted coffee and look at my watch. In about two hours the caffeine is going to hit me like a freight train and I'll have to be restrained. It's just the way things are. But in the meantime, Emmett doesn't seem to suffer from the bristling arrogance that plagued Ransom's very (creepy) being and I like him already.

He must have found it mutual, as he proceeded to give me his personal cell number and assurances that if I had any questions, concerns or problems to not hesitate to call him day or night and that he'd stay out of my way, but also work to keep us up to date as well as to be sure this project is completed on time.

Remind me of the date again?

Bridget, you should go make sure Henry's up. PJ's growl makes me choke on my next sip.

(For fuck's sake's PJ, I'm trying to flirt here.) I shoot PJ a glare but thank Emmett for the coffee again and head back upstairs only to find out Henry isn't even upstairs and is in the kitchen so I call Caleb from the back patio while Henry dawdles over his toast inside.

Emmett. Ransom's guy, I guess. He's taking over the renos. 

Oh, yes. It slipped my memory. So is he a little less unsettling for you? And no, he's not your 'present' and if you persist in being difficult I can have Ransom come back on the project. 

It's fine. I was teasing (I don't tease Caleb). I appreciate it (Boy, do I ever).

Very well then, I should be leaving here shortly so I'll see you when I land. 

The house might be a different color when you get here. Keep your eyes open. 

What? There's nothing in the plans that involve painting the exterior-

Emmett brought me a huge coffee from Tim Hortons. 

Oh, shit, Caleb says, echoing PJ.