Tuesday 2 June 2020

When it's Love by Van Halen was playing on the radio when I woke up, that's why. Deja-fucking-vu. NOT TAKING IT DOWN. SORRY CALE.

Caleb's day at the tables proved to be lucrative. It put him in a good mood. We went up in the elevator to have room service. He had more champagne then food delivered and I mostly ignored my glass until he took my hand as I got up to go and get ready for the evening out. Fun time. My choice and I always choose dancing. It's the only time he ever loosens up. He pulls me in and picks up my glass, holding it to me.

Finish your drink.

I'm good.

Drink it, Neamhchiontach.

He's not being generous or sweet here. It's an order. I drink it. It takes me a couple of minutes to get it all down. Then he tenderly wraps his hand around the back of my head, gives me a kiss and then grips it hard with his hand. He's pulling my hair. I'm almost off my stilettos. He swings me in against his chest, locked in his arm and forces his hand up under my nose while he twists my hair harder still.

Breathe in, he growls at me and I sniff hard as he shoves his knuckle hard upward. Euphoria floods my bloodstream within minutes and I'm ready to go. But instead of taking me out he takes off my clothes and puts me up against the wall of glass, where he holds me up by the throat long enough to get off, and then tells me to get dressed.

That we have VIP at some club and we're late.

Do I care? I don't know if I do. He's thirty, he cares about his image. I'm nineteen and high as a fucking cloud right now. I don't think I care about anything other than being able to walk in these heels after that onslaught without looking like a limping colt.

And he's smeared my mascara in the process. I want to fix it but he says to leave it. That I look helpless and perfect. He holds out my silver slip dress and I put it back on. I grab my tiny purse and we head out. The only thing in it is a lip gloss and my lucky $100 chip.

We dance for hours and do two more bumps in the lounge between deliveries of more bottles of champagne. I feel like I could go for days. When we come back from the club he puts me up against the glass wall again but he's coked out and tired. We crash on the bed, enough energy to strip but nothing else. I fall asleep in a snow angel of discarded clothing. A cufflink imprints a pattern into my cheek while I sleep. A squared-off cylinder shape and a bruise.

When I open my eyes I hear him thanking someone. I roll to one side and he appears in the bedroom door.

Breakfast is here-Oh my God. Look at you.

That bad? I croak. My blood is racing. My head aches.

No. On the contrary. You look so small. As if the bed has eaten you alive.

I wish it would swallow me whole.

Don't wish for that, Neamhchiontach.

***

Almost thirty years later I watch him sleep and I still wish for the same damn thing and with all his money he still can't (or won't) give it to me. Sucks.