Sunday 28 June 2020

The Farewell For The Summer visit.

What are you thinking about? His voice startles me. I am watching the clouds. He has the best view. Same one as the children. Out over the endless sea. I'm jealous but I also love my bathtub. His ensuite is small and perfunctory. There is a huge walk-in shower made of fucking granite but no bathtub. A bathtub will always be a dealbreaker for me. I need one.

We had a tub that hung on the back of the camper and Lochlan could take half a night to fill it with water boiled on the fire but he did it at least once a week for me. And then when the water was cold I would finally leave. He would add another few pots of hot water and then take a bath too. Never with me, back then, sadly, because the tub was small. It was a tin trough with handles. He barely fit in it alone. The water would slosh up the sides if he exhaled and I would laugh and laugh. But we were clean on the road and not many people can say that.

(Mainly it was to check for ticks. Once a week. Because it was the eighties and we lived on the edge of what, I'll never know).

I think I earned my Bravery badge.

Caleb frowns. I don't want you to feel afraid with me.

Don't lie to my face, Diabhal. I cajole him mildly. You thrive on your power trips.

Correction: I thrive on attention from you.

The negative attention after you-

Neamhchiontach. Let me enjoy this rare Sunday morning. The sun is fighting to come out, I don't have to go listen to Sam's deep doublespeak and I have the most beautiful woman in the world in my arms.

Fine. If you put it that way.

What made you come back?

Same reason I hit the cookie jar.

I'm sorry?

Craving something that's bad for me.

He laughs gently. Happy to be lumped in with your beloved cookies.

I think you're way worse for me.

Probably. I'm stupidly happy I got a spot in summer day camp though.

Yeah, I don't know about that. You'll probably be with a different group.

Why's that?

It goes by experience.

Oh, it does?

Yes and those who camp by first driving to MEC in their Audi and dropping four k on gear they don't know how to use but it looks cool are in the first group.

He doesn't say anything but then after a moment in a very quiet voice says, I look cool though, right?

It was the best answer he could have given to my smartass comment.

Yeah, you look pretty fucking cool, I whisper. He pulls me underneath him again and that's the end of the talk about camp and Sam and cookies and I can't see the sun anymore but I don't care.