Monday 1 June 2020

Communal efforts.

I picked up a new planner while we were out running errands on the weekend. I like to have a physical Calendar, a physical list and be organized and cute so I found a beautiful one from Recollections that says Shine Like Stars on the front and has a laminated cover FILLED with glitter. It comes with stickers and is good from July 2020 to December 2021 and it's all blues and greens and purples but pastel.

The best part is that I can't find the leak but every time anyone even looks at it it spills glitter everywhere.

Kind of like me.

We do share a Google calendar for important things and I have a big wall calendar that also holds important things but I am lo-fi, analog and always happier to use my pastel fruit-scented gel pens to record things in my own printing in an actual book that I can carry if I need.

I keep petting it and it releases more glitter into the room. This is great. I bet when the last spark of glitter is gone from the cover is when the book is finished.

***

We rented The Lodge last night. I had a mad crush on Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit so I figured a movie with Richard Armitage might be good. Also Alicia Silverstone is in it! She's great!

But no.

It wasn't great.

Well, it was great in an icky-feeling of dread kind of hey Hereditary and The Shining had a baby and it's The Lodge kind of way but I know one thing for sure. I'm never going to a remote cabin for Christmas. Ever. I also will never use laminate flooring on the walls, ceilings and doors because that was very fucking weird, dark and distracting during the movie. You know, WHAT WE COULD SEE OF IT because it was dark.

A solid 3/5 for rushing the predictable second-half plus Alicia was in it for two whole agonizing moments.

Definitely not a feel-good movie, but then again, I'm not a feel-good princess.

***

Bear poop in the driveway this morning. We think they came through the orchard. Caleb has turned the electric fence back on for the season and I am now forbidden to do gardening on the whole east side of the property alone which always makes me feel claustrophobic and childish.

I'll wear the bell, I plead. No one wants to go.

I'll go, he says. But wear the bell anyway. The look on his face says he is a bear, and that it's spring and he's hungry.

***

We ordered a new bed today! A new California king. Okay, three of them that get pushed together. But it was overdue, there are very obvious valleys and hills in ours because the springs are popped and the support is gone (HA). They should make heavy-duty mattresses for poly-sleepers. I need a bed that can hold up to five people on the reg, but at least three or four every night and that's a combined 450-550 or even more in pounds but after speaking with a bunch of salesman apparently all we can do is replace our mattresses more often than 'normal', which is 8-10 years.

So every four or five years? I ask

They were too red in the face to venture a guess. Lord! Some people are so uptight.