Friday 25 January 2019

'The joy of my heart is to study men.' (Yes, yes it is, Mr. Burns.)

Lochlan saved me from the certainty of having to hustle up a haggis from somewhere far from here because as a surprise he's making smoked haddock chowder instead and I've already had a taste and it's delicious. He's a very good cook, he just doesn't do it enough. I wouldn't either, honestly. It's daunting to cook for up to a dozen and the nights we dump two boxes of chicken nuggets (but shaped like dinosaurs) on baking sheets and add three bags of french fries are more common around here than you think.

Most people would say that everyone can make their own dinner and that happens here too but we also like to eat as a family so there's generally an early dinner shift and a late one and it's been working this way for a long time.

I've already had a small glass of whiskey and water, truth be told. Aberlour gives me a headache in my teeth, if that makes sense so I'll probably switch to water now. It's less painful overall. This stuff is harsh but it was also close at hand.

After dinner we'll read poems aloud and Ben will play us out on the bagpipes, same as he welcomed this morning by playing them in the driveway which brought the usual round of death threats from the neighbors via text message (lovely people).

I hope we can eat soon. I'm starving.