Friday 4 January 2019

Snap your fingers, snap your neck.

PJ's entire existence has been devoted to doing things like playing Prong or Amon Amarth at top volume while I eat my breakfast, nodding along while he headbangs through loading the dishwasher or pouring cereal for milk. He's so earnest. He said the heavy holds our worries, the notes weighing them down in order to drown them in this endless, soaking rain. He says that it's liberating. He says It's necessary, Bridget. And you should try harder.

God Bless him. I just finished a night in which I was reminded of being ten years old and not understanding the incredible heartbreak in the music of artists like Air Supply, Journey, Bon Jovi and countless others.

Lochlan took a gamble playing endless ballads and now they all run with it, including Sam, force-feeding it into my brain, making a whole new kind of hurt as I hear the words with fresh adult ears, always jolted by the pain, the emotion in the voices of singers I can belt along with in my sleep at this point.

But that, my friends, is a far cry from nodding sleepily along with fucking Prong while I enjoy toast with crunchy peanut butter and coffee in the huge BB8 mug that I always grab first, crumbs on my cheek, curly tips of a bedhead bob making me feel ten years old again, in which case this is definitely not the right music.

My kitchen is Wacken, my bedroom a smoky pub on the right side of town where they play soft pop and mourn their busted tickers til the sun comes up and then we'll start all over again, won't we, because that's what people do.

Sam is okay. I've passed on all of the positive encouragement you've emailed and I thank you readers, for understanding how much it hurts when the love of your life walks the fuck out for a third time without warning.

(He's not sad at this point, just angry at himself for falling for it all over again. But he's not too angry to take comfort with us, and I think I may just keep him here until Easter all the same.)