Saturday 19 January 2019

King tides + misguides.

The tension in the room reached a fever pitch as we turned and walked ten paces away from each other and then whirled around and fired. Everything we had.

August is off-limits. The list includes Ben and Sam too. They've had too much loss already to have to put up with you. They're absolutely protected by me and by everyone else here and you will never close a door in one of their faces again. You will never deny them comfort if they ask for it, whether it be on my behalf or your own.

I spit the words out rapid-fire. Automatic.

And then I got shot right through the heart.

I've had too much loss already too, Bridget. My brother died a violent, miserable death following his violent, miserable life and no one is allowed to supersede my presence. Not last night, not ever. Not when it comes to you.

My brain pokes me in the back, whispering in my ear. Well, he is on the list.

(Shush, you.)

He continues. When I woke up you were gone. I needed you and you were somewhere else-

You HAD me-

Not your full attention. Not all of you. 

This is juvenile and-

No, you know what's juvenile? Him using Jacob's death to elicit sympathy from and therefore time with you-

How is that different from me? 

You make an effort to deal with your grief-

Oh my God. Hardly. But my rules remain or this all falls apart. 

Let it. Then maybe he can move on. 

What about me? 

I'll continue to look after you. Maybe this whole Collective was a bad idea but it exists because of your rule in the first place. 

No, it was the only way you could think of to stay close to me. 

The end will always justify the means, Neamhchiontach. 

See, I don't think so.