Tuesday 7 September 2021

Don't tell me I'm fine.

I got my phone back, found my mind, covered with lint, kicked into a dusty, dark corner and I unclenched my fists long enough so that Lochlan could tuck my good hand in his for the evening, not letting go, comically so even as I pleaded to be allowed to go have a pee and I'll come right back. 

Promises are fine and all but I'll come with you. 

Why?

Because it broke my heart when Asher came to tell me where you ended up. 

He's the one who walked away. 

Because I'm sure if he had tried to comfort you somebody else would have had issue with it so he came to get me. He did the right thing. 

He left me alone. He even took my phone. 

Probably thought you were going to chuck it. 

Lochlan-

It worked out. I was outside in minutes. I can do this. Let me do this, Bridge. 

We end in a stare-off. No one says anything else. I finally look away first, because he wouldn't dare.

***

Hospital today. Going to go see a man about a hand. This pain is not what the boys describe after a cast. And I have a huge pain threshold so the fact that this hurts this badly after having the cast off still is making me nervous. Wish me luck.