Monday 27 September 2021

Bruce Springsteen peaked in high school (I am leaving but the fighter still remains).

(Also I figured out the random extra spaces that show up when I'm reading for clarity are from the part of the cast around my thumb hitting the space bar so that's why they're there, sorry. I know it's distracting and I try to grab the ones I notice.)

I am just a poor girl
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

Lochlan was playing the guitar and it sounded a little bit familiar. I thought it was The Boxer and I was really looking forward to the Lie-la-lie part and the diction of the final verse but he stopped when I got to the end of the first verse with its changed pronouns, eyes wide. 

Wow, that changes everything, when you do that. 

I can make anything sinister. I can make it all wrong and no one can fix it. That's my superpower, I guess. Just fucking things up. 

This morning is Monday and we're due a thunderstorm after lunch so we are organizing outside chores really quickly and sorting out the space between now and Thanksgiving, which apparently is a couple of weeks before Halloween and I always forget due to the sheer number of former Americans in this house. 

(And the sheer fact that Halloween is a literal and figurative nightmare now.)

I am paying bills and we're delegating the months chores on the big chart and Ben's place was divided up by all of them but now that he's back (he's back he's back he's back) it's only mine that have to be covered and I still persist in doing a ton of things so very few things need to be switched up. We have the menu set and we're starting to pull together anniversary plans for Daniel and Schuyler. Lochlan and I didn't actually celebrate this year. You know, five whole years married. It still seems disingenuous somehow. Like we're cheapening decades of being together so we've decided to just mark the day quietly and not make a huge fuss. But with Daniel and Schuyler we're coming up on ten years for them and this is a very big deal. And so we have three big dinners and two holidays and Christmas is only a dozen weeks from now and...

JESUS CHRIST.

 I need this cast off so I can get things done, so I can hold on to the edge of that hole with both hands as long as I can before letting go, so I can fight off ghosts, memory fires and strange bedfellows with both hands. So I can hold my laptop up in front of my face and fend off the shame of new readers who just show up and think they're going to read the whore show and then get angry when I go in deep.

Sorry, not sorry? There is no genre here, just Bridget. Maybe Bridget IS a genre. A type. A thing. Whatever. Superpowers. Music. Hurt. Fuck off.

***

What song were you actually playing this morning? 

Streets of Philadelphia. 

Oh. Crazy. 

The crazy part is that you gave a very sophisticated guess.

Wonder who gets credit for that?