Saturday 18 September 2021

August and September, too.

I'm running out of time
'Cause I can see the sun light up the sky

 I've made the most elaborate changes to the song, flourishes on the piano and the song never ends. I just keep making up new choruses as I go. I never leave the bench anymore until I'm falling asleep on my feet. I feel like this song has made me a better player from what I was before, as I had a tendency to try and memorize the notes instead of reading the music. To me playing and singing is only marginally easier than writing while singing, and so some days I'm not writing at all. 

Besides, I only have two fingers to work with on my right hand so everything is a struggle now and it's a wonderful visual and emotional connection to the book I just finished. Not sure if I can spoil it quite yet. I only even heard of it on a podcast and then I noticed Andrew had a copy sitting on his desk in  a pile with other books and I made a mental note. And then it exploded on tiktok and so I bought it and read it too. 

But I'm not going to talk about it today. Not in the midst of all the other things. Like August on his goddamned knees, apologizing for shouting me down, for flaying me in front of my army, for telling me my coping methods were not coping methods at all, but methods by which I will facilitate my destruction and the destruction of those around me. 

I pointed out isn't that why he's here, because it takes one to know one? And what do you know, I found the button and he. went. off. 

And it was nice to finally watch him blow his stack. As much as the words (all true) hurt so bad I didn't think our relationship would recover (hint: it has) he needed to do that and needed to make his observations known in a meaningful way. And we made up and he and I have talked about the book and what I've seen and what I came away from it with and how maybe I really need to talk to everyone more and I'm generalizing here because I want to give you ample warning before I spoil that book. 

The sad part of all of this is how much he's been keeping to himself all these years and how we're all peeking around the corner at this point into the black that is October and so unwilling to keep moving forward we're taking turns pouring concrete around each other's legs trying to keep us in the summer, keep the fall from barging in, keep the memories from burning everything down around us. Trying to hold on, but for what? To do it all again, year after year, just crawling into the bright warm light only to be dragged backwards into the dark? 

Yes, Sam says, my memory thief, holding one of Lochlan's soot-covered torches, a flame still boldly emanating from the top. Lochlan stands beside him, holding the rest, all lit up like fireworks because he is the apprentice, he's the one who decided fire would be the way. Because that's what we do. To live is to coexist with joy and with pain, equally, or you really aren't living at all. Then he touches the flame to the edge of my day and I am baptized again, in fire, a phoenix with broken wings, stripped of it's feathers, a pathetic creature tripping over one memory after another because he gets a lot of them but he never gets them all. Sometimes I am surprised and end up flat on my face after one appears in front of me suddenly. A spectre. An apparition. A ghost in the form of a helium balloon, handed to a little girl at a fair. 

But it isn't fair. And that's okay too because without the pain how would we know when we're experiencing joy at all?

And that's the part they're trying to teach me now.