Wednesday 10 February 2021

Back from the brink of the world.

(Hey, so yesterday's post is literally just an old war wound I needed to lick for a second and is not directed at anyone currently living here on the point, so don't assume. You can, however, assume I am fine and dealing with residual anger as it pops up. That's all, and sometimes I use this for a word-dump and I'm sorry if you arrived fresh as a daisy from breakfast and looking for entertainment. 

Also I didn't put a trigger warning on it because I don't do that, the whole site is a trigger warning. Hell, I am a trigger warning but again, thank you for the emails of concern. It's nice to have people out there who care.)

(Also had a week-long nonstop anxiety attack in there that almost did me in completely.)

I'm making an old favourite this morning, cocoa-molasses cookies (a variation on the recipe here) and trying to find a copy of the Violet Evergarden movie to watch, now that I've finished season one, the bonus episode and the special. Gosh, it's right up my alley. She and her gloves and her typewriter and her broken heart. I kind of wish I could whip off my hat and show mechanical ears the way she takes off her gloves to show her prosthetic arms but at the same time maybe not. 

I had a good laugh with Dalton over the fact that every character who carries a bag in these shows always always has an orange messenger bag that's completely nondescript. It's funny because I have an orange messenger bag and everyone comments on it and I love it so much. It's loud and ridiculous and matches nothing I own but it's also exactly something I would carry now that I no longer carry a designer bag. I gave them up and never looked back. I like function over form.

Dalton was a warm heart to curl up against this morning when I came in from running around the yard with the dog, who slept well and had the super-zoomies and wouldn't you know it, so did I and it was four less than zero out and they're calling for all kinds of snow this week upcoming but that's okay. It gets dark at five-thirty at night now and it's bright before I can finish my coffee each morning and I have hope because winters here are easier still than anywhere else. 

Caleb says that's why he moved us here. Easiest winter without leaving the country, or we would live in the Canaries right now, or Monaco or Sicily but since I won't leave Canada this is it, though it may not be forever. Our ten year plan is complete, the new five-year plan is now under way and then some big changes may take place, as that's what we've decided and it's not for sharing now but perhaps later. Ruth and Henry won't live at home forever but while they do everything stays the same so they have that glorious, underrated security and that's the takeaway here. 

Feeling safe.