Saturday 7 November 2020

Abundance.

 I took the glass down to the wall before the sun was fully risen. I hand it to him with both hands. 

Happy Birthday, Preacher. I can't believe you're fifty today. 

He takes the glass and raises it before taking a sip. What would you like to do to celebrate, Piglet?

Find my courage. 

Did you lose it?

Yes, all of it. 

Where did you see it last?

Thursday when I was with Caleb. 

Jacob frowns. It powers him. He takes it all from you and he grows stronger. You grow weaker. 

He stuck around.

Not to help the others. It's a bitter laugh at the end. 

I don't need to defend him to you. I spend all my time defending you to all of them. 

And?

They agree with me. You're a coward. 

I didn't have a way out of this, Princess, or I never would have left. 

All you had to do was practice what you preached, Jake.

I don't have as much courage as you do, Bridget. Here. I found yours yesterday but you didn't come to see me. 

I couldn't move yesterday. I couldn't even breathe.

Don't mark these days anymore, he says as I take the bundle from him. Courage is heavy and warm. Courage glows under the early morning winter sun. Courage is a shield against men like Jacob who want you to turn them into heroes when they've been nothing but villains. 

Courage works fast, thank God. 

I hear shouting and I close my eyes to feel the wind and the rain.When it gets louder I open my eyes again and instead of Jake standing there, it's Lochlan. 

You were supposed to wait for me. Don't come out here alone! He sweeps the broken glass fragments into his hand and holds out his other one for my own. Come on. Let's go inside.