Friday 16 February 2007

REad the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction.

At 9 am when I got home from walking the kids to school my flowers had already arrived. White roses with just the barest hint of pale green if you're paying attention, some of my favorites. They're pretty much all my favorites at this point, with every step I take bringing me within eyesight of a beautiful bouquet of roses. I do feel like a princess much moreso than I ever did before this.

Are you tired of this yet? Oh, my apologies. I'll stop there, instead of telling you about the trail of paper hearts I followed out of the bedroom this morning to find coffee and toast all ready for us to eat and I certainly won't tell you what shapes the toast was cut into because you're seriously going to need to come down from the sugar rush of pure sweetness.

He loves the new tattoo. Go big or go home, Bridget. Oh yes indeed. I went from a tattoo the size of a plum to one that's the size of a paperback. He expressed surprise at the cross and I expressed my surprise at not having been struck by lightning while I was being inked with it.

Much laughter ensues, because I've got a place somewhere on God's incorrigible list. Cute but totally fucking impossible. Like Henry, somewhat. Oh, he is so much like me.

Happy Valentime's week, Mommy.

Wait'll you hear what I found this week that Cole did, but no, I can't write about it right now while this high continues. Cross your fingers and I'll somehow let it go and you'll never have to hear about it and I'll never come down from this high. Wouldn't that be lovely?

Instead I'll give you an annotated barometer to round out the week.

-Jacob's ex-wife is engaged! To her lawyer boyfriend, we're thrilled for them. She's in love. They're still friends. We're all friends. We talk on the phone just about every second week. She and Jacob were never in love, it makes it easier somehow. He loves her as a friend, I think she loves him as a brother. It's so civilized.

-Bridget is still heavily medicated. I think we found a winner in dosages here. I may never drive again which annoys me. I may never have a drink again which is a good thing but also rather annoying. But hello, have you seen me this level in a while? Ignore the occasional slurring and tendencies to space out or stumble a little bit. Right. I am fully aware that this is not your ordinary everyday antidepressant trip and I have been sent down the rabbit hole for my own protection. But who cares? Not Alice, she's eating cookies and has grown very small.

-The kids had perfect report cards. Ruth caught up to her peers with her reading. Henry can't hop on one foot because he's not in mood but otherwise they are happy, kind little kids who listen, follow directions and are liked by their teachers and their friends. I couldn't ask for more. Monday will be the 100th day of school.

-Jacob has Relient K's Deathbed stuck in his head. Which is great, he sings it well. I can't figure out how he's able to remember the lyrics to a song that's that long but it's a better choice than some of the other songs he walks around singing. I love the bridge of that song. I love the bridge of every song. I can't remember lyrics this week, I'm too busy concentrating on walking and breathing at the same time.

-I stopped procrastinating. And it hurts like all fuck. But I don't really care.

-Oh, and Ben? Yes, that Ben, my ever fucked-up friend who squeezes just a little more than he should, has a girlfriend. One who puts up with none of his frat-boy shit. Cross your fingers. He needs this. He really really likes her, and she is nothing like me.

TGIF, Alice, I've got my own white rabbit today.