Saturday 10 February 2007

King, clown, bear or braids.

Those were the choices I gave the kids tonight on the way home from hockey. Nothing says successful comedienne like a captive audience, and by 6 pm, after being on the go since early this morning, I was worn out and not in the mood to come home and wait another thirty minutes to get dinner on the table.

Eating out on Saturday night is as much a part of the day as shrugging Henry into gear that costs more than my entire wardrobe and the kids use the supper as their cue to sack out all over the table and begin a chorus of whines and droopy eyes that signify that they have had enough of the day and would like it to end, please.

I wrestled them from the restaurant to the car and from the car into the house where they gave me big huge sighs of happy exhaustion in their showers and they were both asleep before 7:30. I called Jake to let him know we were home, he had a wedding this afternoon and was still deeply ensconced in work and was thrilled we had fun today and sad that he had to miss it. He won't be home for another hour so I'll heat up the shepherd's pie and we'll settle in for a movie and a long snuggle.

I like days when I'm too busy to think much. Jacob has a neat way of ensuring that I remain on an incline by filling up our spare time with fun activities and events and making sure that life runs smoothly in a way that allows me to breath, and rest and run and enjoy, above all else. He's amazing in his ability to find balance when I stop resisting his efforts. He even jokingly chided me for not bringing a burger home to heat up for him later, despite my assurances that none of it is healthy or organic and the only thing worse than fast food is reheated fast food. He prefers healthier fare but we can get him to eat all kinds of junk far too easily, much to his chagrin.

Right now I've got an hour to myself, and I'm going to restring my violin and play until the alarm beeps to tell me Jacob is home.

For the record, the kids unanimously choose the bear.

Secretly I like the bear the best.

And no worries, I wasn't driving, PJ played chauffeur for us, which was nice. He'll do pretty much anything for a trip to see the Root bear.