Sunday 11 February 2007

Easy like Sunday morning.

Who am I kidding? Sundays are the busiest day of the week around here. Which is why I'm losing bagel crumbs all over my keyboard and typing standing up while I pull up my tights and try and keep my skirt from sticking itself to my legs with all the static I carry around. I'm balancing my cell phone and my coffee cup and trying to reassure Jacob that yes, we're leaving in five minutes, honey.

He'll be already pacing in the vestibule, not looking at his watch but instead checking the sidewalk for his three favorite blondes, bundled up and rushing furiously.

Stacked on the table in front of me are 64 Winnie-the-Pooh valentine cards, 24 chocolate cupids, wrapped individually and 36 heart-shaped sugar cookies. Henry has a party for his day at Kindergarten and Ruth expressed her wishes to fill up her friends with cards and chocolate.

They have a short week this week with inservices and report cards going out and it's hard to believe it was a year ago that I called the school for a tour and subsequently registered the kids for public school, thereby hanging up my hat as a homeschooling mom. It's still the best decision I ever made and the kids are thriving and having fun, making friends and absorbing so much information that each night I have to wring them out so they can start fresh the next day. Ruth has advanced 15 reading levels in the past 3 months and Henry writes all his letters with ease and loves to choose books to bring home for Ruth and I to read to him.

Jacob has announced that this year Valentine's Day will be abandoned in favor of Valentine's Week. I don't know what this means for me, but I have several surprises up my sleeves for him, and we're both buoyed by the news that it will be thirty degrees warmer by the end of this week anyway. That's enough reason to celebrate, don't you think?

Yes, I'm well aware that the King of Romance has thrown down a promise the likes of which will become legend in our universe. I'm a little bit floaty off the ground with tingling thoughts of anticipation and trying desperately to ignore it, because I won't get anything done this way!

Yes, so now I'm late. Shit.