Wednesday 26 January 2022

Last of my kind, for sure.

Burns night was a mad success. I enjoyed a single glass of mead but did not have anything after that. Cleanup was quick and the Scottish folk music channel was playing softly in the background. 

In my bid to live completely off-grid with nothing more complicated than an oil lamp wick to deal with or maybe the wheel on my buggy might fall off and I'll have to make a new axle out of a tree branch or something, the boys decided to go full Smart Home (before it was only a few rooms, none of which I ever go into) much to my dismay, and now every time I want to turn on music, a light switch or (probably) a man, I have to announce it, prefacing it with Hey, Google! Or Okay, Google! 

It's somewhat magical and somewhat infuriating, which is how I describe Lochlan most times so no surprise there. It's really neat. It solves a weird, longterm problem of having too many lights on solitary switches on some of the different floors and it also solves the problem of me trying to connect my phone to bluetooth, an Olympic feat best left to the professional tech athletes in the house. I am full on amateur. It never works. If it does I am surprised and then can't replicate it again for weeks. 

Very frustrating. 

So this solves half a problem and creates a half-dozen more in the process. 

But the boys think it's cool. 

They spend all day sneakily changing the colours of the lights of rooms I am in.