Tuesday 25 January 2022

Nursing my wrath to keep it warm.

The neighbourhood looks terrible right now. The post-winter, pre-spring death of last summer is still in the air. The fog and dim heavy cloud cover keeps it dark, and everything is wet leaves, mud or damp brick. The trees are bare and wind-ravaged, the birds have left, and even the water is roiling, black. 

The only shining light is Jacob, standing by the new, far edge of the circle driveway.

The gang is coming back on the weekend or early next week to add an outdoor lockable cover for my kiln and to fix up a couple of tiny leftover issues, like mainly how I found a very large pile of broken bricks in the woods just past where the lawn ended before. I texted a picture to Ransom and told him he forgot something and he has five days to collect it. He said Saturday. And then he texted sorry, but he didn't know. 

And here I was so thrilled about everything else. I don't like it when someone hides or leaves waste materials after a job. It's as close to a dealbreaker as I can get save for jobs that run way over. I told Caleb next work project that arrives on the point may see me leave it forever. I just want some peace and quiet. 

Does it scare your ghosts away? He says, his voice in a serious tone. 

I look up at him and he looks sad and resigned. Maybe he sees them too. 

Sometimes. 

I think that's it for a while. They did a good job though. 

I nod. PJ now leaves his Jeep all the way around past the house almost to the point where the circle rejoins the long driveway. He goes out often and likes to make things easy. I get pride of place right in front of the porch steps but like I said or maybe I didn't. My vintage Jeep has sprung a tantrum and needs to go in the shop tomorrow morning because no one has the time or energy to fix it anymore. Least of all, me. 

The job is well-done. I like driving on the brick. Jacob clasps his hands behind his back and glowers at Caleb, watching us but unable to do anything about our proximity. I am leaning back against Caleb who leans against the rail. I told him we needed to rake the leaves and he had them do it and now it looks better and I think I'll stick to walking the dog down to the cliff and back or maybe to Batman's french doors and back so I don't have to see the sorry post-Christmas state of life on the Outside. 

We may be out of time for that. The Devil shoots his cuff and checks his beautiful watch. It's after four. Time to start supper. He drew the short card and has to help me make a Burns Night Supper. Whiskey, candles lit with no electricity otherwise, and sausage instead of haggis, mashed potatoes and a veggie, since the haggis is hard to find and only truly liked by half the point, or maybe a third, and Lochlan didn't want me travelling anywhere other than our regular grocery store anyway due to health order constraints on the population so it's a bit of a relief and I'll be drunk by dinner time anyway, if I'm lucky. 

Even thou who mournst the daisies fate, that fate is thine. Jacob's voice in my head like a sudden spike of pain.

You okay, Neamhchiontach? 

Fine.