Monday 18 May 2020

Dancing in the violet shadows.

(I have trouble describing these moments. Bear with me.)

We all walked in small groups down to the gazebo. Umbrellas and good suits. My favorite embroidered gauze dress and bare feet. Flowers in our hair from our garden. Flowers in PJ and John's beards, and in Ben's ears. Everyone is smiling, talking quietly and laughing, holding hands. When we reach the gazebo Matt and Sam take each other's hand and walk up the steps where Sam's second at the church waits for them. He reads a beautiful poem and then asks the boys to exchange their vows. I put down my umbrella in order to get drenched so that they won't see me cry. Caleb foils my plan by pulling me backwards underneath the shelter of his umbrella. Lochlan does not let go of my hand.

Now is where I admit that the rain on the umbrellas means I could not hear their vows.

Had I said something every umbrella in a forty yard circle would have been closed at once but I'm not one to steal a spotlight or break a heart that is only just healing in and so I didn't tell Lochlan that I couldn't hear and had to wait for cues from the boys to know what was happening.

You can't choose the weather for a wedding. If you choose a deaf girl for your witness you're going to have to fill her in. I saw their eyes. I know what they've entered into, once again. I could tell by the way my own heart sped up to a lightning speed, skipping along at a crazy pace as I watched their faces.

The remainder of the night was a whirlwind as we exclaimed over their beautiful bespoke bands (also with S&M2 engraved on the inside) made of pirate gold and dreams, stuffed our faces and I was passed from arms to arms to arm dancing dizzily fast sometimes and achingly slow at other times. We watched Sam and Matt dance together but mostly they just stood nose to nose, smiling softly into each other's eyes. We couldn't tear our eyes away from them.

After they cut the cake they made a speech, thanking us all for the night, for the space and for the understanding, the room to figure it out and the privacy to hash it all out and clear out the past to make way for the future. They thanked us for being so open to love in any form and for allowing them to be a part of something so special in this Collective and for having a voice at the table, a vote on our life together moving forward and an open door always. 

Sam pulled me aside later and asked if his vows were okay, that he was too nervous to share them before the ceremony so he let them roll.

I couldn't hear them because of the rain.

His face. Oh my God. His face. Stay here, he tells me so I do.

He comes back two minutes later with Matt. They recite them for me again. By the time they are finished the tears have turned to a waterfall. If only I could ever make words sound so beautiful. I would want for nothing else.

Yeah, they're okay, I tell him, laughing-sobbing as I try not to wipe my teary face all over the front of his suit. Matt gives me his hankerchief and pulls us both in by our heads so I can't help but get tears all over their suits. It's okay, though. You couldn't tell them apart from the raindrops.