Friday 20 March 2020

Grief is a one-way street, she said and I didn't forget that.

I missed all of the movies last night, including The Outsiders AND Footloose. I'm so disappointed at myself but I settled in tight between Ben and Lochlan on the couch and I was out. Asleep hard. Fuck. I didn't get any pizza (Henry helpfully ate my slice after Lochlan pointed out I was zonked) and was sent to bed when the credits rolled. This is nothing new but I'm hoping to stay awake tonight for 2020 movie night. I don't know what's out though, except for The Hunt. I'd like to see that. Hell, sometimes I'd like to participate in it. With circa-2006 Bridget, not the shell of her that exists now. I don't think she could wield a weapon, let alone find her way out of a wet paper bag. Things have changed.

And welcome, listeners to a sunny Friday morning here on the point. Your girl Little Bee has had no sleep, save for what took place when I could have been watching Kevin Bacon dance (God, Lochlan was SO JEALOUS of my Kevin Bacon infatuation when I was 12 and Loch was 17 and now it seems funny) and I'm feeling a little down this morning, opening a browser with a wail that every inch of every thing I read each morning is covered in a virus. 

Caleb promptly banned me from the Internet. Lochlan quickly amended it to the news and social media parts of the Internet. Fine by me, my blog is also a one-way street though after listening to so many podcasts as of late (I am struggling with Limetown because the player wants to jump to season 2 episodes all the damn time and if I get distracted and let it load automatically I can't follow it because it's at the end suddenly.)  I'm so tempted to try my hand at it, and just talk to you.

There are problems with this plan.

Firstly, if you've ever heard deaf people talk you'll get this. My hearing was there at birth and not as bad as it is in adulthood so I can pronounce my words more easily than you might expect. But I'm loud and highly inflective because I can't hear my own voice, which means not only will you think I'm yelling at you and way too enthusiastic about whatever it is, but it's ridiculously expressive and almost comically sing-song if singing was always a sharp or flat and never on key or on time.

Right. Off-key sing-song with weird timing and loud. I've been assured it's compelling and sweet (RIGHT). I can quash it half to bits when necessary, like when meeting someone new and I feel like I make myself sound like a robot.

Secondly,  if I started a podcast what would I talk about? Myself? Nothing? Grief? Sure, it's the only thing I'm an expert on, unless you count my award-winning multi-time consecutive Sugar-Babying gigs that are ongoing. I could talk about that but Caleb wouldn't appreciate it and would probably draft me a C&D before supper.

If I did a podcast, what would I talk about, Locket? I ask him mid-word.

He doesn't even hesitate. The show. Talk about your time on the circuit. Talk about the highwires and the crowd and the costumes and the mental preparation. 

Only with all of Cirque newly laid off I bet I wouldn't be the only one.

Talk about Jacob. My brain screams and I smack it back, hard. No. That's for me. 

Talk about boys, PJ offers helpfully.

Right. So I can just read my blog out loud then?

If you want, he shrugs. I don't think PJ understands me at all anymore.

Sam comes in and a surprise kiss lands on the top of my head. Talk about secular faith in trying times, he says and Caleb says his name, drawing his attention.

We're not talking about news today, he warns.

Ah, Sam says. Neither was I.