Thursday 19 March 2020

Get tough and nothing can hurt you. Not even the bread shelf.

A distortion pedal and a pair of wings
An anthem played on broken strings
The distancing is for me. Want to hear the shopping-cart-handle-licker story?

Well, I cut my finger just as I started shopping two weeks ago for groceries. The shelves are sharp and I reached back to one side for English muffins. When I pulled my hand out with my prize I had sliced right down the side of the nail on my index finger on my left hand. It started bleeding straight away so I did what I always do, I stuck my finger in my mouth. With my other hand I frantically checked all of my pockets and my bag for a stray tissue or a bandaid, finding neither. And the store was so hectic I didn't want to commandeer an employee to deal with the sharp shelf or find me a bandaid. I don't need to buy bandaids (I have thousands. At home!) and so I did my entire shop with my finger in my mouth. By the time I had to pay it had mostly stopped bleeding and yeah. If anyone caught a virus from a shopping cart handle at this point if it isn't me I'd be surprised. But that was two weeks ago and I have since recovered down to just a mildly-stuffy nose and there are five bandaids and two folded up tissues in my purse all the time now. But yes, I've probably single-handedly murdered every senior or compromised person with my germs within a forty-mile radius because I made an automatic motion. So it's manslaughter, not murder, in my defense. I'm sorry.

Never said I wasn't a walking calamity now, did I?

***

Today's special activity is brought to you by Dalton and Duncan, as we are taking turns trying to lift each other's spirits and make being home even more magical and wonderful than it is on a daily basis by planning surprises or out of the ordinary things. This is Retro Weekend (but on a Thursday) and it includes all eighties fun all day followed by eighties movies and snack foods tonight in a giant new blanket-fort we have built in the theatre room.

We're all wearing eighties fashion (which is funny, except for Caleb who came down as a greaser, and pointed out the Outsiders film came out in the eighties, sparking a huge debate on films versus books (the book came out before Lochlan was born even). Anything goes, I guess. I had to steal one of Ruthie's ringer t-shirts and rollerskating shorts. The shirt says Let's All Summon Demons and Caleb questioned that too, saying no one did that in the eighties.

That's what you think
, Lochlan says and I wonder right now if we'll even make it to the movie activity part of the day or if they're just going to murder each other first.

Perhaps I should threaten to lick them.