Monday 14 May 2018

Understanding owners.

Emmett went to my house to settle up with Caleb this morning and then somehow ended up at my work, inviting me out for breakfast, lunch or dinner to apologize for the overrun and overtime and overbearing noise. The boys aren't allowed to come to where I work. If they do I'd take my apron off and walk out the door and go home with them so it's better if I don't see their faces while I miss them.

You want to take everyone out for dinner? Like all of us?

No, just you. 

Should I ask my husband? 

That mean you want to go? 

Honestly? No. But I think you don't understand I'm not single. 

From what I understand it's open?

Not in the slightest. 

Then I've misunderstood. 

It happens. 

Friendly work dinner? 

Not this time. 

Unfriendly brunch then? We can scowl at each other?

Emmett. 

Explain it to me? 

I don't have to do that. 

But outsiders aren't welcome. You're a closed group. 

I tread so carefully. We have those who have joined late but...not for me, specifically. 

Now I understand. 

I hope so. 

Well, then, let me say good afternoon and it's been a pleasure to work on this project and even moreso a pleasure to meet you. 

Take care. 

You too. 

I let him see himself out while I took a peek into the envelope of invoices and receipts he left me with. Then I hear a familiar voice in front of me.

You did well, Neamhchiontach. 

Oh, was that a test? Next time let me know so I can study for it. 

I thought he reminded you of Ben. 

Well, he does. But that doesn't mean I'm going to invite him to stay. Now do you want a coffee to go or will you just leave so I can get back to work?