Wednesday 23 May 2018

Newfie Surprise mens.

August was sitting on the steps of his loft when I pulled into my usual spot on the left side of the garage, in the hollow under the big tree that if you walk underneath and around to the right and up a hill behind the garage you come to the orchard, my garden, the tiny vineyard and the swing that sails out over the grass. That parking spot is the shadiest in the whole driveway so I claimed it a long time ago. Then my Porsche stays nice and cool instead of feeling like the sauna, which I don't want when I'm driving, frankly.

Hey Princess. 

I collect my bag from the passenger seat and stand up, smiling at him while I remove my name tag and throw it into the bottom of my bag.

Hey Augie!

He shakes his head but grins. Aw fuck. Don't look like that. Such a Newfie expression.

Long day?

The longest. I looked at the clock after about six hours and only six minutes had passed. 

Rough. 

It was. By Wednesdays I'm a mess, the laundry is backed up, the house is falling apart and it takes the whole rest of the week to pull everything back together. What's up? 

Just seeing if you and Loch are free later. 

Yes. I think carefully. Check with me around nine. Should be okay. 

Will do. He grins so openly and innocently it makes me feel guilty but also thrilled beyond measure to be missed so thoroughly during the days that I work. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that.