Tuesday 15 May 2018

Sugar-dusted.

I'm pretty sure they are taking turns, one by one, to see which one can talk me out of this. I want to stick it out. Honestly it's a crap job with shit pay, a polyester apron so thick I could use it as a pool cover and sure, I don't need the job but I'm not taking it away from anyone as they couldn't fill it for months. The owner was taking orders. The cook swept under the tables when it wasn't busy. And as I said before, pay isn't the only reason you take a job. This one is a challenge (The sandwiches are confusing. I never check the soup of the day until it's too late and someone puts me on the spot and the blender and A/C are both perpetually broken.) But it's a challenge that ends with that table. When you leave the diner you forget about it. I don't have to worry about working nights and weekends. I don't have to be in charge of anything. I just have to smile and greet each person as they sit down and make sure they have ketchup and fresh coffee and everyone's so happy it's dumb.

I'm looking forward to my first paycheque. And also any food I buy at work is half of what it costs everyone else so today I had a rootbeer slushie with the peanut butter and jam sandwich I brought with me and it was amazing. I was so hot. I have a heat rash on the back of my neck from the apron band. I'm happy I have four days off after tomorrow and I asked the owner if we could get organic cotton aprons instead.

He said no. He looked confused. I didn't press the issue. I'll wear the one I was given.

But today it was Ben's turn to ambush me when I got home.

Bumblebee.

Big Ben. Done work?

I am. Are you?

No, now I have to do my chores. 

I'll delegate. But only on one condition. 

What's that? (I thought he was going to say something that would make me blush but he didn't.)

Quit and let me cover your salary. I'll even throw in daily challenges. You don't need to do this.

I do, though. But I'm curious about your daily challenges. 

Oh, are you?

I am. 

If you quit you can find out what they are. 

Did Lochlan put you up to this?

No. 

Caleb?


No. Why?

You're the fifth or sixth person to offer to cover my pay if I leave the job. 

Was Lochlan one of them? 

No. He thinks it's a good thing. 

That's because he's the only one who cares that you grow a little. The rest of us want to permanently hobble you so that nothing ever changes. 

It won't. 

Don't make promises you can't keep, Bumblebee.