Friday 2 March 2007

The Gingerbread Man.

Yesterday afternoon I heard my name being called from outside Ruth's window and so I went over and stuck my head out, expecting to see Jacob on the roof of the porch. He wanted to poke around up there, a few of our neighbors are having issues with the snow melting and coming inside their homes and let's face it, any excuse to be up high somewhere death-defying and Jacob will be first in line.

He didn't seem to still be up there. I pulled back in and heard my name again. Out I peeked once more.

Look up, princess.

I craned my head around and was met with Jacob's face grinning at me over the edge of the roof. On top of the house. Our 3 story Victorian house that towers over the neighborhood like the Gothic mansion that it is. He was framed in gingerbread.

Are you tethered, Jacob?

Of course not. Now go down to the street so you can see.

I ran downstairs. Fuck! My heart was in my mouth. I was scared. It's winter. It's icy. Dangerous. He's insane. I'm going to watch him fall. He's going to die in front of me and I'll be two for two. Lord help us all.

I ran right out into the street and turned and he was standing there on the peak waving to me. His splayed-finger friendly How you doing? wave.

Jacob! Come down from there, you fool!

In a moment, princess. I just have to do one thing.

What is it? We don't have any water coming in.

Not worried about leaks.

What, then?

I LOVE YOU BRIDGET!


He yelled it so loud it reverberated off every building on our block and echoed in my ears, a sweet experience that I rode like a rollercoaster as his voice faded away.

Then he started to make his way back down, his mission accomplished. Me, I was still standing in the road with tears running down my face remembering something he said to me a few years ago on a night after Cole had snubbed spending time with me in favor of a better offer of a night out without me. Jake had said,

If you were mine, I would shout my love for you from the rooftops.

Jacob is leafing through our history with his phonographic memory and fixing it, fulfilling each wish and moment, the promises and-

No idea what I was about to think next, for my neighbor's car horn jolted me back into the present and I realized I was still standing in the middle of the street. And then Jacob was there, safely back on earth and he grabbed my hand and pulled me back onto the sidewalk into his arms. He was grinning, still in that completely foolish way, nodding while he used the end of his scarf to dry my face.

You remember.

I do.

So?

I love you, Jacob.

And I love you, Bridge. And I want everyone to hear it when I say it.

and then from next door,

Don't worry, Jake! We heard you! Congratulations!

And a new talent was born, tandem blushing. So now we can both run away together and join the freak circus I left so long ago. Come one, come all, see the blushing blondes!

And Jacob is no longer allowed on the roof.