Thursday 26 May 2022

It's Thursday and I'm back.

I was not planning to take another four days off from writing but sometimes things happen and in this case it was total mutiny in the form of Benjamin and Lochlan not letting me leave the bedroom for over forty-eight blissful hours of breakfast in bed, long naps, a whole host of movies on Netflix and at least three blistering-hot bubble baths, sorely needed after what seemed to become endless gardening and fixing up and changing and planning and I did not mind it and had a burst of energy which always seems to be followed by a long rest as I will continue to run until I can no longer breath or see. 

Until my legs will no longer carry me and my heart abruptly caves in, slowing to a dangerous crawl before a staccato beat is detected in the air and Loch comes running. 

Because he just knows. Knows when it changes, knows when something's different, knows when there's a shift in the matrix and something is wrong. 

Jacob followed me inside on Tuesday, screaming helplessly at my retreating form, shoulders rounded in against the rain, head down against the wind, legs wet from the tall grass, ears broken to his pleading voice. The wind took it and it wasn't until I reached the patio and pulled the doors across the tracks that his voice came into focus and I could hear him and so I was granted half of a one-sided conversation which makes things neither comprehensive nor fair. 

I tried to respond but then Lochlan was there with a warm towel and he started to say something but then he abruptly told me to finish my thought, and then he never took his eyes off me as he told Jake to please leave and then I heard and felt nothing after that and we were alone. 

Then he watched me for a few minutes as I started to stutter and flutter and lose my shit and he cancelled the week and everything else too and he called for Ben and that was that. Four arms to hold me while the ghost of Princess Past breathed on the top of my head in my mind but not in real life and sometimes they get a little bit mixed together and so this was a much needed reprieve. 

I know I'm never going to be okay, I was never going to be the same anyway, and this always serves as a reminder that I was supposed to be something special and instead I'm just something, alright.