Saturday 23 October 2021

Hell is like Vegas, actually. Seems larger than life until you get there and then you just want to leave.

Got up at nine-thirty this morning, only because one of the cats got locked in our room last night and walked across my head to wake me up so she could get out. Lochlan is awake, and runs a sleepy hot bath for us. He washes my hair and his own and conditions it and then the tub is almost overflowing as he adds more hot water and then we are clean and dry and wrapped up in towels. 

He combs my hair, parting it in the middle. He tells me to sit on the couch and then he goes into our room and is back in a few minutes. He has my clothes. Chosen by him. Warm black leggings (hard to put on with one hand so he does it. Like putting a mannequin in tights, if you ever worked retail) and an oversize sweatshirt, also black, with a sprig of flowers and a sign emblazoned that says 'Hell was boring'. It's a dig on the previous night, I know but it's also warm and comfortable. 

We head downstairs quietly, cat in arms, as Ben sleeps in a little longer on the weekends again and the whole house is quiet, save for PJ putting his dishes in the dishwasher and Duncan is looking for his keys. 

They're on your hook in the front hall. 

Did I put them there? 

No they were in your jacket. It was on the floor so I washed it but I checked the pockets first and your keys were there. 

Oh. Thank you. Want anything while I'm out? I'll be back in a couple of hours. He's heading to a meeting. 

Can you get some banana bread? 

Slice or a whole loaf?

Whichever is easiest. 

Will do. 

He is off with a kiss on both our cheeks. PJ smiles at his back and then frowns when the door is closed. 

Where's my fucking kiss?

Lochlan heads over and gives him a full french and I am dead. 

Maybe if you're lucky you can have some of the banana bread too. 

PJ laughs. Who needs sustenance?  I think I can live on love now. He bats his eyelashes at Loch. It's like old times and I adore it. 

Also banana bread to look forward to. Damn.It's going to be another good day. 

Is it? Jacob's voice crowds into my brain. Is it really though? It's like he's trying to hurt me, now.

I shake my head to clear it. I hope so. 

What? Lochlan says, suddenly alarmed. 

Oh, I said I hope so, as in I hope PJ can live on our love. That's why we're here, right?