Friday 11 September 2020

Friday's cancelled.

It's too smoky outside for me to breathe so I'm inside with the windows all closed and the fans on in bed with Dalton eating s'mores made in the microwave and watching season one of The Promised Neverland. It's so good it almost makes me forget we're surrounded by fire again. 

This is not the fresh clean snap-flame of a well-built campfire, this is filthy black smoke, debris floating through orange air, breath choked back in our lungs. Henry and I both have reactive asthma and so we are laying low. Ben is spending today with Daniel. Lochlan goes in between all of us. I have a blistering headache and am sleeping more than watching but it's a fast-moving series so Dalt is always happy to rewatch parts that I miss for dozing off.

None of the boys are outside today. Work is even stopped. I sent Emmett's crew home. They'll still be paid but no one should be exerting themselves and trying to breathe through this air quality nightmare. 2020 just keeps on coming, doesn't it? It's almost as bad as 2007 at this rate. Time will tell.

I wouldn't want to be any closer to the fires, that's for sure.