Saturday 5 September 2020

Fifty-five.

It's a pirate ship ride. A trip through the fog, gold pouring out of our pockets as we get pelted by saltwater rain. It's a darkened journey through a moonless sky, an endless black ribbon like a highway that slips through my fingers and twists away on the wind. It's a siren's song from the deep and I implore them to go faster, lest she catch me, drowning me in her mirror image, taking me to the end. 

Did I win? I wake up with a start, thick sleep muffling my words, spoken into the side of Lochlan's head. 

What were you fighting for? 

Life. 

He nods sagely. Then you won. 

I grab his hand as another wave washes over us. There's no rest for the wicked here on the high seas, no respite from the danger, and he straightens my hat on my head before resuming his perpetual lookout. Lochlan is a professional pirate, and I am his parrot. Always at his side, echoing his every word. Lifelong companions here on the Salish sea.

Happy birthday, I whisper over the roar of the waves. 

Indeed it is! He agrees. Best birthday ever. An annual proclamation, no matter what adventure we end up on.

I trace his Jolly Roger flag tattoo. It's one of my favorites. He kisses the top of my head and for good measure leans forward, kissing Ben's cheek on the other side of me. 

Me hearties, he says and he falls back asleep. Huh. Guess we're not getting up just yet.