Sunday 26 January 2020

Amends.

No church today. Instead homemade french toast, bacon, fried tomatoes and Jesus in the dining room as everyone linked arms, hands on shoulders on either side just like at bible camp or a Switchfoot concert (I love those moments) and prayed for Caleb's blackened, violent soul. We're going to fix it if it kills us or him, and we'll do it together as a collective.

I sent all the money back and he sighed audibly and had it transferred again, telling his favorite private banker that a miscommunication on our end led to it being rejected. This time he had it broken up and dropped into seven different accounts. Just to be a jerk but a loving, benevolent one. He has apologized to everyone and taken all of the blame for his efforts to hurt me, as he well should. This went beyond imprints. This was weirdly surreal and nostalgically brutal.

Last night after our big Burns supper he poured me a second whiskey and asked Lochlan if he could wash my hair for me. It was an intimate gesture from a man who doesn't know how to care for people so it caught us by surprise. Lochlan said yes so hesitantly it was audible in his voice, which caught me by even more surprise. We waited until late, heading up to Caleb's wing where he ran a hot bath with Himalayan salt and lavender bubbles. He rolled up his sleeves and undressed me carefully, taking caution as he lifted my camisole over my head, looking positively stricken to see the aftermath.

I stand there trying to decide if he's a hungry bear or a scary wolf or maybe some new undiscovered hybrid of the two, staring him down, bleeding him dry. He meets my eyes and stops moving. Just staring at me. Near tears but not quite because he is strong and this is matter over mind.

I'm sorry, Bridget. I meant to teach you a lesson. I did not mean to wound you. I wish I could take it back.

I wait for more.

It won't happen again.

Oh for- You say that every time, Diabhal.

Then I need to have more self control.

And how.

 It's difficult for me. Around you.

Then fix it with your money.

What would you suggest?

I don't know? It seems pretty straightforward. Don't bite people. Don't draw blood. Don't get so excited that you can't control your actions.

I can do it with most people.

Except the ones you love?

That's the irony here. He lifts up my hand and helps me step into the tub, wordless finally. It's so hot. It feels nice.

I rest my head on my knees and slide back to make room, thinking he is joining me but instead he's beside me, on his knees on the mat, scooping handfuls of warm water over my back with the washcloth. I close my eyes and startle almost immediately. I didn't sleep last night. I hope that changes tonight. He turns me around so I can rest my head against his arm while he gently washes my hair, being so careful it's as if he's a different person.

Finally he pulls the plug and turns on the hand sprayer, standing me up, rinsing all the bubbles off my skin and distracting me from the fact that I'm standing in pinkish water. He rinses until the water is clear and then helps me step back out of the tub and into a towel that he wraps around me, pulling another one off the stack to wrap around my hair, gently.

He bends his head down and kisses my shoulder, suddenly pushing the towels off me, pulling me in against his shirt, getting it wet. A long kiss on my mouth and he brings me down with him, into his lap while he fights to get his belt undone, to get his clothes off. He is gentle but fiercely affectionate and forgets my injury, pressing his head down against mine, on the left, as ever and I cry out. He stops on a dime, bringing me away from him, out into the cold before resuming, this time on the right side of my head, unknown territory as we have our ways. He locks his hands around my hips, bringing me back in over and over until I build into a release and then he keeps me in close as he joins me in a release of his own.

A long exhale and we have started over. Again. As lovers instead of bitter enemies of the heart.

Stripping off the rest of his things, he takes us both in under the hot spray once more and checks my ear for any further damage but it's fine. He kisses just above it now.

Okay? 

I nod, shivering and he grabs another towel, wrapping me up in it and he gets one for himself too, tying it loosely around his waist before embracing me again. He whispers against my good (uninjured) ear, thanking me for giving him enough trust to make it up to me. That he's going to work harder to be the man I want him to be. I nod. I hate promises than can't be kept. Be who you are, just don't rip pieces out of my ear, for Christs sake. Otherwise I love the intensity. I love being wanted so much it physically hurts him instead of me. I love the game. I love his passion.

It means he's alive. It means I am too. I sleep like a baby in his room knowing he's probably not going to change all that much but just enough to be trusted by the rest.

And my ear feels a lot better today, truth be told.