Sunday 30 June 2019

Room.

He puts his hands up. He's not carrying anything. He doesn't have any weapons. For the moment I am safe even though I know damn well his gun is his heart and it beats down a count heralding the remainder of my life. He's watched every breath I've made so far. Nothing's ever going to change here in this dappled-sunlight-covered plant-filled room. The dark greys are so restful, his mood is relaxed. So far so good.

Just a drink. 

Drinks always result in a whole night. 

So two drinks then?
He laughs handsomely. Aw geez.

Two max, I promise. His eyebrows go up. He's thrilled. He thinks that means two whole nights.

Cale-

Let me hope, Neamhchiontach. 

Don't do that. Just enjoy the moment. 

Oh, I am. I want you to as well. 

I'm here because I want to be here. 

Is it my aftershave? He laughs.

Curiosity flows both ways. 

How so? He hands me my drink. My out.

Thank you. 

Tell me. 

Tell you what? 

What are you curious about? 

Life with you. 

Marry me and find out. 

Sorry. 

Are you?

Not really. I'm happy and you're always wanting to fuck with that.

Not in the least anymore. My only aim now is to augment that happiness. 

Is it now? Truth, Cale. 

God's honest truth, Bridget. No fights, no battles of will, no tugs of war. Just peacefulness. Just happiness. Just time together on the right side of history. It's time for you to trust me.

Okay. 

Okay? He's holding his breath

Okay. 

He downs his drink. Fuck whiskey, this calls for champagne.