Sunday 23 September 2018

This post feels really fourth-wall in explanations but I'm leaving it the way it is.

Did I mention one of the pros of this Collective is if you need some heavy furniture moved it can be done exceedingly quickly and without complaint? Such was most of yesterday afternoon as all of Sam's bedroom and den furniture made the trip down the driveway and most of Caleb's things came this way, save for his kitchen barstools and the huge white leather couch.

Now Sam's old rooms looks strangely modern and cool and the boathouse looks very cozy and rustic. It works perfectly. I even switched their bedroom window coverings, as Sam is up with the sun and sleeps early and doesn't like to cover the windows at all while Caleb loves his blackout curtains.

Caleb's only request was that we furnish this house with a Breville as he had one and left it for Sam to enjoy and August has one and really we should have one here as well. I shrugged and said as long as someone puts a lock on the thing so I can't make myself an afternoon espresso and be up all night it's fine so he made a call and one is on the way tomorrow.

Caleb even had a cleaning company come in and scrub the whole boathouse before the furniture was put into place. He wanted Sam to have the best of everything. He even said he may make use of Sam's repeated, ardent offers of a talk, if ever Caleb wanted to make use of Sam's services.

Maybe just now if I look up, instead of geese, pigs are flying again.

Henry is also weirdly thrilled to have Caleb in-house. They're still close and will always be so for him it's extra comfort. His face was pure joy as he helped carry records and boxes across with the boys. He's bigger than some of them so he does his share of the heavy lifting now and Caleb noted his enthusiasm and was deeply touched by it. When I came downstairs this morning they were having breakfast together. It wasn't early or late but I didn't hear Sam getting ready to leave for church so I missed waking up on time, since the alarm didn't chime as the door was opened as it usually does.

Which means only Sam went to church. I will go over and see him later but I suspect he will be here somewhere reading, still spending his solitary time close by. Frankly he can spend all his time here and only head across the drive to sleep, or even not, as far as I'm concerned but I will wait and let it play out without my influence.

(Or I'll try, anyway.)

Last night wasn't weird but I had a headache and Lochlan was exhausted. Ben was holed up back in his studio after emerging long enough to hoist a bedframe up the steps singlehandedly and so after struggling through the latest episode of American Horror Story: Apocalypse (honestly I can't tell if I love it or hate it yet) we gave up and went to bed and actually slept hard last night. Which was so needed, let me tell you.

So today is the first day of the rest of our lives, as it is every day, I suppose, and I can't wait to see if this works or if the whole thing finally implodes.

I have a feeling it's going to work perfectly and I didn't expect that.