Friday 21 September 2018

Contingency (Confession).

I think we need to make a sea change, and I've been considering the options for a while now. The Devil walks a slow circle around the night, pausing here and there to push back the shapes in the dark, the ones I can't see clearly, the ones that see me, clear as day.

What kind of change. I am still slow with sleep, thick with dreams and exhaustion, so unwilling to climb out of this bed and go home right this moment, instead ready to fall back asleep under the skylights and their canopy of rain-drenched hemlocks. Options for? 

I think Sam should take this space and I can take over his rooms. 

And be just down the hall. 

Yes. 

In the big house. 

Yes. Then I'm closer to you and the children and Sam gets the breathing room he needs to work plus it legitimizes his tenancy here in the eyes of the church. He could even entertain without questions. 

I'm awake now, his pejorative tone keeping me from dozing. What brought this on, besides the obvious? 

Time. We've talked about this. I'd like to be closer. For both your and my own benefit.

Your end game is the problem-

He sighs for what feels like an eternity. Talk to them. 

You should have called a family meeti-

They'll only consider it if it comes from you, Bridget. 

So I have to take this to them?

Depends. Do you want me in the house?

I freeze, a deer in the lights. He sits down, pulling me into his lap until we are eye to eye and he holds my head so I can't look away.

Neamhchiontach. Do you?

I'm willing to do a trial. But there's no privacy like there is here. 

There's enough. So will you take it to the house? If it comes from you it will work. They will understand. 

The sun comes up in tandem with his hopes and my throat goes dry as I wonder how in the hell I'm supposed to make this sound as if it was my idea all along.