Tuesday 25 September 2018

Duh.

The poet is in the hammock this afternoon when I come out with my lemonade and he won't budge. He won't vacate it or slide over, telling me I'm too small and he wants to relax, not remain tense that he might inadvertently crush me or somehow squish me. He tells me to find a different space and so I head inside and go straight downstairs to his room. I place my lemonade on his nightstand and crawl into his bed, asleep in seconds, maybe less.

An hour later he arrives and offers to trade places and he laughs because waking up seems insurmountable right now for me as I struggle to respond when I just want to sleep. He gives up quickly enough and when I wake up next, my throat exceedingly sore again, nose running, and feverish from what I thought was a cold but is probably the first flu of the season, Duncan is gone and Caleb is in his place, leaning over me in concern.

That's why I'm here, Neamhchiontach. To make sure you're okay. And let's face it, you're far from okay right now. 

I'm fine. 

The ghosts are back. 

Think they ever left? I roll away from him and burrow into Duncan's blankets. After a minute or two, Caleb leaves. Not like he can't find me later.