Monday 6 October 2014

Ceasefire.

Ben forced an agreement early last evening. Caleb's not allowed to go after Lochlan because Lochlan didn't do anything. He's not allowed to go after me either and Ben tore whatever flesh was remaining off Caleb's bones with a few threats of his own. If Ben isn't there? Caleb doesn't touch me. Even if I instigate.

That's a good rule. In a strange life.

Loch looks worse today. Prizefighter-worse. He went grocery shopping with me and scowled at everyone with his magnificent lower lip jutting out just enough that no one spoke to him. Flannel sleeves rolled up, words inked all over his arms, bruises all over his face, he pushed the cart at the store so fast I had to skip to keep up half the time.

His rule was different.

You are never ever ever going over there EVER again. EVER! EVER, Peanut. You hear? 

Yes, Dad. 

He scowled at that. Then he gave me a new song that he found. A cover of Kiss from a Rose by Head Control System. It's been on repeat ever since because it's metal and it's all sung in minor harmonies and I love it to death.

Like everything.