Saturday 4 October 2014

I could lean back in the crook of his elbow, as he swings me around slightly off my feet, arms up around my neck, kissing me brusquely in the cold. I hang my head back very far and gaze at him through half-opened eyes and he smiles and that's when I see the blood.

That's when I hear the shouting.

I'm not sorry, Lochlan tells me, smiling, shaking his head as he is pulled away from me so they can find out what happened. Apparently Caleb staggered up the front walk and they found him sitting on the steps bleeding from his nose and mouth and a good cut over his eye. There's only one person here who fights dirty like that.

Loch doesn't have a scratch on him. I don't think he gave Caleb time to fight back or even defend. Ben gave Loch a look and then drove Caleb to the clinic to get fixed up. That cut wasn't something we could deal with at home.

Caleb refused to press charges or finger Lochlan at all. He said it was worth it. He smiled at me as he got out of the truck when they came back, ice pack held against his eye.

I wanted to punch him myself.