Thursday 4 March 2021

Guileless. It means childlike and innocent. Yes, just like Neamhchiontach, but in English. It was the first note he wrote, because I asked to see.

I have not been able to stump Everett yet on a song. If I start, he will finish. 

He is pleased that I am so delighted. We can go on Rock and Roll Jeopardy together except it's not on television anymore. I don't think, anyway. 

You really love your music, Bridget. 

More than these boys, I admit. (It's okay, they're aware.)

What would you like to get out of my visit?

Are these realistic, constructive answers you're hoping for or should I just list my wildest dreams?

Give me both, I'm game. 

But I'm not. I don't feel like being scrutinized. Every smile is gauged for value. Every word I say weighed for intent and truth. Every action I take catalogued and filed and I'm about to send Sam in with the gas cans to be Everett's memory thief because I've already had enough and we haven't formally started yet. 

You are reluctant. 

I've done this many times over. It doesn't work. Besides, you're-

Go ahead? I'm..?

An addictions counsellor. 

Fair enough. Except I'm not just an addictions counsellor. It's where I felt I could make the most difference in people's lives. I've been fortunate to work for some great organizations dedicated to helping people like Ben but I can do other things too. 

Fair enough, I repeat. Four days and he's already parroting my favourite phrase. It means I give up and I'm not dying on this hill to me. To him it is a diplomatic response to something he probably doesn't agree with. Oh wait, we're using it the same way. DAMN. 

Okay, now you have to call me something. 

I'm sorry? 

I called you a mere addictions counsellor and gatekept your credentials. Your turn to underestimate me. 

Oh, I have a feeling I'll be doing that the entire stay. Your past is very colourful. I don't often meet people who ran away to join the circus in real life, and I meet a number of people in unconventional lifestyles. 

Who's the worst?

Hmmm?

Who couldn't you help? 

I would much rather use my time here to focus on you. 

That sounds like you have a poor track record, Everett. 

No, there have been three or four clients who couldn't put in the sweat equity and never completed the program. They all continued to struggle until the end-

The end?

They all died. Either due to overdose or suicide.

Do you have ghosts too then?