Wednesday 9 February 2011

You are so lost and the only thing I have ever done is try to help you and I may have gotten carried away and for that I'm sorry.

But not sorry enough to stop.

I have tried.

Real hard, hey, Caleb?

I'm not the only one, Bridget.

He is welcome in my life. There's a difference.

He changed you.

He raised me.

He should have gone to jail.

He isn't the only one.

I would arrange to remove myself from your life again but he would have to go as well, and then there is the matter of Henry. It isn't every day a man discovers he is a father. I want to be a part of things.

His life, not mine.

Both. I have a vested interest now. Maybe some things are meant to be.

And maybe Henry will grow up and learn the truth.

I hope not.

What goes around, Caleb.

Bridget I'm not trying to make your lives miserable but you push me and I have to push back. I'm making it clear that if you continue down this road someone will get hurt and I can assure you it won't be me and I'm not going to allow it to be you. Lochlan is on the hook and the only reason I don't take him down is because you have lost enough. That and recently you have been more open about admitting that you did love my brother, in spite of his issues.

I nod. Hard to believe Lochlan's destiny is on a permanent hiatus due to fate. Due to bad luck and death and angels and defective hearts and tall buildings and the roll of trick genetic dice.

He reached out and smoothed my hair away from my face. I didn't move a muscle, nor did I change my expression.

So if you're not going to move on this why not let it go?

What sort of king surrenders when he's not under siege? Remember that, princess, and don't ever try a stunt like this again.