Friday 10 April 2009

Communion on the run.

Sam and I ran last night. We ran until I gave out and sobered up and admitted that I didn't have control of my day or my brain, but I did have control of my life and this wasn't going to change that. He reminded me that I knew anyway, she didn't have anything new to add, it didn't serve to change anything Jacob had written in his letters or journals.

It isn't news, he said and I know he is right. Sam is always right. Sam was a quiet observer into my life with Jacob and he is louder now and he has never failed me yet when it comes to administering huge doses of reality and peace in his still rather quiet verbal measures, timed carefully to land like wonderful little bombs of knowledge in between the squealing as my brain takes corners too fast. He picks the quiet spots and I hear him. He prays and I hear him.

Every time.

So I came home, dry and tired and no longer overwhelmed and I packed up the envelope stuffed with Jacob's writing and I put it in the box with his journals and his letters and I watched a movie with Christian and the kids and then the kids went to bed and Christian went home and I took a long hot shower and went to bed, reading for a while. I heard the alarm ring when Lochlan came in late from work and I thought about going down to talk to him but then it was morning and the sun was out and yesterday is over.

Over.

Kind of like Jake.

Just...over.

Maybe some other time when I'm not feeling so fragile I'll read what Sophie gave me. God knows, maybe she feels the same way. I gave her the envelope full of pictures she had asked for months and months ago, and even though they weren't right for each other and she endured being with someone who openly wanted someone else, she cared about Jake. She cared and she doesn't blame me because she saw things that I was too self-centered to see, and maybe like minds are brought together because only someone even more fragile than Jacob was had the ability to make him feel strong. He was strong, I don't care what anyone says or what they read or what they assume, he was strong. He fought through all of his demons for so long and he was strong when I needed him so badly and when I no longer needed him to be like that he could stop pretending.

This would be the part where I say I could have continued to be brittle and breakable forever if it meant he would still be here but I can't control that. I'm not responsible for him and if anything, his life should serve as a warning, that if you know there are glaring issues in someone's life, help them.

Just help them.

My friends are doing it for me. We're all doing it for Ben. Today marks one full month that Ben has been away at a place that is going to help him kick his habits for good, and he wouldn't still be there if it wasn't for the support of his friends, his family. That's why I'm flying down next week. It's family week and we've been invited to go and cheer him on and give him whatever he needs to continue to get better.

There's been enough casualties in this war of a life and there aren't going to be any more.

And Sam says no more martinis. Which is fine, I said that at 3 pm yesterday. It was uncharacteristic. I don't drink so much anymore. it doesn't help. It doesn't help anyone.